Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Adawiyah Reflections : Changi Museum and Chapel

So I shall start my reflection proper. The previous post basically shows some of the pictures we took though I have to admit it is not a lot. And some of those taken were quite dark and blurry too so the ones that were posted were actually some of the best we've got, sadly. :(

That said, visiting the Changi Museum and Chapel can be described as a rather pleasant experience. The learning journeys that I had in my secondary(or primary? whichever it is) did not count since I really cannot recall much as I mentioned in the previous post.

When I entered the museum and chapel, I find the atmosphere rather gloomy and sombre. This is unsurprising of course since the museum and chapel were dedicated to all those who perished as well as those who suffered greatly under the Japanese hands during the dark years of World War II.

Indeed, as I walk around the museum, I uncover about the realities of the sufferings in more detail. How the POWs were tortured, starved and sent to do the Death Railway. How the Chinese people were massacred. The conditions of the prison cell. The types of tortures used against the Jap's enemies. The soldiers of all races, religions and nationalities who died and many more.

However, it seems interesting to note that despite all the sufferings and harsh treatments, there were instances whereby these soldiers portrayed great courage and attitude. The Australian soldiers for instance were best known for their comradeship. Indeed, despite the circumstances then, these soldiers would still do anything for their fellow brothers who are in need. Such displays of humanity seems to have strung my heartstrings greatly. Really, I'm not lying! Here we are complaining about every minor details when these soldiers were upholding a positive outlook despite being away from their homeland and families.

Of course, this is slightly different from what I have learnt in lecture. The museum seems to elevate the services of the foreign soldiers greatly whereas the lecture seems to mention about the foreign soldiers having some sort of a 'heck-care' attitude. After all, these soldiers were not fighting for their homeland or people and having such an attitude did not came as a surprise.

With that, I sort of felt that this museum were catered largely for the tourists who may have visit the place to pay their respects for the dead, even their family members who may have lost their lives. It seems a bit too 'propaganda-ish' for me as well since after all, schools will bring their students for such learning journeys and thus there is a need for them to put everything in an almost perfect, positive light.

No comments:

Post a Comment