Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Jingkai Reflections : National Museum

My last visit to National Museum was when... I can't remember! Or perhaps it was my first time going to the museum a few weeks ago. Although it was compulsory, I could tell that we enjoyed it. :) There was a bonus too, our admission was free! Thank you MOE/ NIE!

One of the first things which surprised me was the green device issued to us. It was our Companion for the visit as it acts as a tour guide. Honestly, I really did not expect the museum to be so advanced! Oh well, maybe I'm the one who is lagging behind.

So to start the trip, there were the usual artefacts dug up from different historical sites, important people who made a difference to Singapore and also the Japanese Occupation. Students often memorise the facts and information regarding Singapore History, without really seeing the chronological order of how events lead to other events. I personally believe, visits to museums enhance the understanding of history. The amount of information available in the museum is seriously overwhelming. In order to thoroughly cover every aspect of the museum, one probably needs to go there at least twice. I hope I am not the only one who has such sentiments!

Overall, there was one section that really affected me emotionally - Japanese Occupation. Although the other aspects of Singapore History interest me, Japanese Occupation never fails to stir up emotions in me. Every picture, video, testimony of Japanese brutality and atrocities aggravates my hatred towards the Japanese soldiers then. I have to admit, textbooks and many sources of information may have been slightly biased against them. However, being a Singaporean, I cannot help but wonder why did the locals had to undergo such a painful and torturous life back then.

The nature of a war brings about casualties, both military and civilians. Most of us can understand the rationale behind it. However, Sook Ching and other forms of massacres, torture and raping are atrocities which till now, I fail to understand. After visiting the museum, I really admire and respect the anti-Japanese who dared to stand up despite knowing the outcome should they be captured. This also set me thinking, if I were in their shoes, would I join anti-Japanese groups like Force 136? Or would I be a commoner who will live by the day in fear.

During my National Service, Japanese Occupation was a motivation for me. By having an army, enemies will think twice before attacking. Although Singapore is small, we too have our heritage much like any other countries. I know it sounds cliche, but I'm really proud of our heritage, and most importantly, honoured to be a Singaporean!

No comments:

Post a Comment