Tuesday, March 2, 2010

CHANGI CHAPEL & MUSEUM



THE CHANGI CHAPEL & MUSEUM
Never thought I would make a trip there again. The last visit was back in my secondary school days (or was it primary??) and I got to admit, I do not really recall much from it. That said, I decided to make this trip a much more fulfilling one.
The pictures were taken discreetly since photography was not allowed in the museum. Unfortunately they were of low quality anyway due to the dark setting of the museum but at least we tried okay! And I even took down notes for goodness sake! So i guess it was a few hours well-spent with Ethel. Sadly, the guys did not follow due to our very very VERRYYYYY conflicting timetables.


I thought I would share this photo. At first, me and Ethel thought the tourists were wiping their sweats. Trust me, the weather that day was extremely hot. But of course, we were wrong as they were actually wiping their tears. Little would wonder why. The atmosphere of the chapel were unsurprisingly sad and sombre. ;'(




Some basic background to the chapels. Basically, it describes how these chapels provide solace and comfort for those POWs in times of hardship and terror.

The many many many notes dedicated to the fallen. Tried to read as many as possible and this one caught our attention the most. It reads:

"In memory of our brave men - so courageous and valiant. Let's not forget the women who also lay down their lives for the love of others." And finally, "When will we ever learn?"

Indeed, I feel that in war, there seem to be no winners. Only losers.

Let the pictures do the talking!

The size of a typical cell. And of course, the POWs slept on the cold, hard floor. Plus look at the size of the loo! Goodness. I really won't survive 1 week there. Least of all hundreds of days. So the POWs got my utmost respect here. HATS OFF TO THEM!

Their usual clothings, nothing but some loincloths to cover themselves. Really, such horrible terrible treatment. I could not imagine.


And of course, the famous murals that were repainted.

No comments:

Post a Comment